Font Size:


Will County Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition (WCSAPC)

November 27, 2018 Meeting Minutes

APPROVED December 18, 2018

Members Present: Anastasia Tuskey (#11), Denise Zielinski (#11), Cherry Powell (#12), Bonnie McPhillips (#7), Tim Cramer (#12), Loren Yaksich (#12), Mike Kelley (#7), Ed Hayes (#7), Kathleen Burke (#11), Dan Jungles (#7),Cornell Lurry (#3), Linda Weatherspoon (#8), Diane DeVries (#4), Tara Powell (#5), Esmerelda Martinez (#11), Amrita Raghuraman (#10), Joe Maso (#12), Donna Swanson (#7), Jamila Stepney (#2), Brionna Lewis (#1)

Welcome/Introductions

The November 27, 2018 meeting of the Will County Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition was called to order by Cherry Powell at 4:35 pm. Introductions were made. The newly hired Coalition Coordinator, Donna Swanson, was introduced.

I. Approval of the October 2018 Minutes - President Anastasia Tuskey asked for approval of the October minutes. Motion made by Dan Jungles and seconded by Cherry Powell to approve the minutes. Motion approved.

II. Officer Reports

a. President – President Tuskey discussed the need for increased awareness and educational resources for parents about e-cigarettes and related paraphernalia being used by underage teens. More parent education is needed. Getting the Regional Office of Education (ROE) involved in this effort could be very beneficial for us. 

Will County Sheriff’s Department is waiting for approval by the Will County State’s Attorney’s Office of a countywide smoking ordinance passed by the Will County Board. The department is unable to enforce the ordinance without that approval.

b. Vice President – Vice President Tim Cramer pointed out the new Guard and Dis-guard promotional materials he brought to the meeting and encouraged attendees to take the posters and fliers back to their organizations for distribution.

c. Treasurer – Treasurer Loren Yaksich presented the financial report. Motion made by Kathleen Burke and seconded by Denise Zielinski to approve the report. Motion approved.

d. Secretary – No report.

III. Introduction of WCSAPC Coordinator, Donna Swanson - See above introductions.

IV. Coalition Responsibility

a. IYS –Nothing new to report. The Illinois Youth Survey document was present at the meeting for members to review or reference. Cherry Powell stated that she is encouraging schools to be ready for 2020.

b. 2019/2020 Fall Prevention Conference – No report, however Chief Lemming is planning to host an event sometime in Spring 2019 at a Lockport high school. The event will specifically target the Lockport community.

c. Youth YAC Update – YAC member Brionna Lewis stated that the YAC are working on a talent show at Joliet West HS to take place in February. President Tuskey encouraged her to get the information to the Coalition as soon as possible in order to help publicize the event. They are also grooming the next YAC President as the current one just turned 18 and is no longer considered a youth.

d. YAC Proposal – Tim Cramer shared a proposal to contract out for a youth coordinator-type position. Discussion by the group was ended when Dan Jungles asked that we not vote on the proposal until he was able to research the best way to benefit the Coalition under the DFC grant. This was tabled to the December meeting.

e. DFC Grant Update (added at the meeting; will be included in future meeting agendas) – Donna Swanson brought up the requirement for the Coalition to be a member of CADCA (Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America) for the grant. The cost was included in the grant proposal budget. The question now is whether the $225 should be paid from the grant money or from Coalition’s (in-kind) funds. Motion made by Tim Cramer and seconded by Diane DeVries to pay the $225 from the Coalition’s fund and making the expense an “in kind” expenditure. Motion approved. Donna Swanson will be the designated contact for information disseminated by CADCA. She will share that information with interested members.

f. Tobacco Update -- The Tobacco 21 legislation currently in the General Assembly is dead. The House was unable to get the 2/3 votes needed to override the Governor’s veto. Locally, governmental bodies can adopt a smoke free ordinance that makes e-cigarettes and similar nicotine products illegal to sell to minors.

V. Subcommittee Reports

a. Education – No report.

b. Business – Cornell Lurry reported that Will County Center for Community Concerns is committed to being an active member of the Coalition.

c. LHCSAP Marijuana/Medical Marijuana Updates – No report.

d. Opioids – Kathleen Burke reported on several NARCAN training events that have gotten great turnouts in attendance and a training in New Lenox is scheduled for Dec. 3rd; Peotone Library on December 13th at 4:00 pm and Plainfield on January 8, 2019 from 7-9 pm.

She also reported that the Safe Passage initiative where individuals with a substance use disorder can seek assistance accessing treatment has expanded. The initiative now includes Braidwood, Lemont, Lockport, Mokena, Romeoville and Shorewood Police Departments in addition to the Will County Sheriff’s Department.

e. Outreach – No report.

f. Faith Based – Linda Weatherspoon reported that she is working on an event to be held in January 2019 for faith-based organizations to be educated about the coalition, teen substance abuse, and the role they can play in helping to end substance abuse. She is planning on hosting the event at the Holiday Inn and Suites.

g. Fund Raiser – No report.

h. Website – No report.

VI. Sector Members Share

Kathleen Burke shared information about the MAPP Behavioral Health Subcommittee a group that meets to discuss issues related to Behavioral health and Opioid use and abuse. They meet on the 2nd Tuesday of the month from 9:00 to 10:30 am. The locations rotate.

Linda Weatherspoon asked members with connections to local churches and faith-based organizations to let her know if they are willing to assist in making contact with the churches.

VII. Next Steps

a. Dan Jungles will review the DFC grant and determine the next step on the Vendor Proposal for our next meeting.
b. Members need to track their time spent on Coalition-related activities. These numbers will be collected monthly at our meetings. Donna Swanson will create a new member attendance form to track coalition-related events and programs.

VIII. Next Meeting – ATTENTION! DIFFERENT DAY!!!

The next meeting of the Coalition will be held on Tuesday, December 18 @ 4:30 pm at the Will County Sheriff’s Office, Public Safety Complex, 16911 W. Laraway Road, Joliet, IL 60433.

IX. Adjournment

Cherry Powell moved and Kathleen Burke seconded that the meeting be adjourned. Motion approved.

The meeting was adjourned at 5:54 pm.

Minutes submitted by Denise Zielinski

11/29/2018; rev. 12/4/2018 dmz